Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

"The Promise" by Superfruit - Single Review


   What's better than an 80s pop cover by talented queer artists? Not much.

   Fresh off promotion for Christmas Is Here! alongside fellow Pentatonix members, and their own stellar Future Friends debut album in 2017, Mitch Grassi and Scott Hoying share an electro-pop cover of 1987 top-twenty hit "The Promise" by British band When in Rome. The new cover serves as the next step for Grassi and Hoying's side project Superfruit.

   "The Promise", written by all three When in Rome members Clive Farrington, Andrew Mann and Michael Floreale, is an admirable admission by one lover that they might not always say the right words or convey the proper sentiment when it comes to showcasing the affection they have for a significant other. But even in the midst of their shortcomings, always want it to be known they will forever be by their side should they ever need them.

   Grassi and Hoying utilize effortless trademark harmonies to heighten both the fear and excitement of strengthening a relationship. Though all make mistakes, fights bound to happen, they hope focus remains on creating an ever-lasting bond together.  

   "I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say, I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be, but if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me, I promise, I promise you I will," the duo sings on the instantly-recognizable chorus. 

   Released to coincide with Valentine's Day, the cover of "The Promise" turns the usual narrative for the holiday of a pitch perfect romance on its head. Perfection is imaginary, problems do exist. Opening with tinkering piano keys, production courtesy of Pretty Sister incorporates modern electronic beats and synths while increasing the energy until listeners reach the final, glorious chorus of the 80s classic. 
   
   To accompany "The Promise", Superfruit enlisted America's gay sweetheart and Olympic ice skater Adam Rippon for the official music video. Featuring Grassi and Hoying at the local ice rink, Rippon proves just how he was able to assist the men's figure skating team in securing a bronze medal in South Korea, becoming the first openly gay U.S. male athlete to win a medal in a Winter Olympics. 

   You're welcome!

Post a Comment

0 Comments