And now for the puzzles.
This classic Springbok, Flat Banana, was sent to me by the Good Witch of Bay. What a great vintage puzzle hailing from 1979. I collect a puzzle like this for the box alone.
Next up, a sweet old Gennessee Puzzle, which was sent to me by an Improved Grinch:
I love this sort of puzzle, which no doubt was purchased at a five and dime for less than a buck back in the 50s or 60s. Maybe a kid bought it for his Gramp for Christmas. Maybe Johnny's mom sent him to Woolworth's with a dollar and the edict, buy Sam a present for his birthday party this Sunday. Kid buys the puzzle for 69 cents and has plenty left over for candy.
So it's missing a piece, who cares? I loved putting it together just the same--pure Americana.
~~
Oh dear reader, I am loathe to tell you what happened during the construction of this next one--a gorgeous and totally fun 2000-piece Jan Van Haasteren offering, which was gifted to me by He Who Rides the Mount of Vernon.
I was bent over the thing in my usual puzzling way when I reached for a piece and knocked over my adult beverage, which soaked a number of pieces. I (predictably) screeched and leapt into action, gathering up the damp pieces and carefully arranging them on cookie sheets.
I dispatched the pans post haste into my KitchenAid Superba combination convection oven, which I turned on to the bread-proofing setting (100 degrees with convection air circulation).
It dried the pieces perfectly, nary a one warped. I didn't even lose a piece in all the confusion.
~~
Imagine getting something like this from a purring minx of incalculable beauty:
I opened the glorious package only to find a 3D Qing Gardens Vase puzzle.
!
I was so excited, I started constructing it right away. The way the little plastic pieces snapped together was totally satisfying. And I loved the numbers and arrows on the pieces, as if the puzzle was worried I'd lose my way.
Dearest reader, life is beautiful one piece at a time.
* * *






0 Comments