Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Inevitablity

Whenever you read a story like this:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A Tennessee lawmaker resigned from the state Senate on Tuesday after his extramarital affair with a 22-year-old intern was revealed by an investigation into an extortion case.

You know you're going to read something like this:

Stanley's legislative proposals were largely focused on pro-business issues, but he also sponsored failed measures to ban gay couples from adopting children. He also spoke out against funding for Planned Parenthood because he said unmarried people should not have sex.

Which raises the question: Is this kind of hypocrisy even news anymore? Should it just go without saying that when some GOP lawmaker gets caught boinking someone not his spouse, that he's previously come out strongly against the very extramarital sex he's been having?

You know, I might just like the Republicans better if they'd just be honest, like a friend of mine who once said, "I'm a Republican because I like low taxes and I don't like the government tellin' me what to do. I don't have a damn thing against drinkin' and whorin' around."

Or the only conservative to be truly and consistently funny, P.J. O'Rourke:

What is the Republican Party Reptile? It is a creature of the eighties. It’s neoconservatism with its pants down around its ankles, the Rehnquist Supreme Court on drugs, a disco Hobbes living without shame or federally mandated safety regulations. The Republican Party Reptile supports a strong defense policy, but sees no reason to conduct it while sober. The RPR believes in minimum government interference in private affairs—unless the government brings over extra girls and some ice. In short, the RPR is the new label that our political spectrum has been crying out for—the conservative with a sense of humor and a healthy dose of depravity.


Show me that kind of conservative party, and maybe we can talk.


Post a Comment

0 Comments