Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

It's About Time....

 

Every Now and Then...

I hope you know what I mean, Dear Readers, when I say that sometimes there comes a morning when the light is so inviting that you simply have to go out and Play. This is what Perry thought early one morning as the Autumn sun streaked in the windows of Rose Thorne Cottage. He simply could not stand another minute inside! And so he headed out to play on the Distant Briar Moors. 

He didn't know what he wanted to do and had nowhere in particular to go, 
but as was often the case, his footsteps turned in the direction of the Castle.


He hadn't been able to forget about the stolen Sword....


and the Dragon Caves.... 
but he really didn't want to think about that
 on such a beautiful morning!


Indeed, it was the sort of morning when it seemed
 the whole world was out to play!
Certainly the ponies were dashing across the Moors...


Feeling the breeze blowing through their manes....


They had nothing to do and nowhere they needed to go...
so they were free to kick up their heels and dash across the Briar Moors.
They didn't pass Perry as he headed to the Castle.


And in Another Time altogether, Dear Readers,
 but not too far away, another young boy 
was also enjoying the beautiful autumn day.
Tommy had set out on his pony Prince,
 and as was so often the case,
 they found themselves on the path to the Castle ruins.
Tommy had been told many times
 that it was too dangerous to play in the ruins,
but it didn't stop him from going there whenever he could.


Prince new the way, and Tommy didn't need
 to pay much attention as they rode along.
 It was the perfect afternoon for thinking about
 the Treasure Tommy hoped to find at the Castle.
Or the Sword! That sword that the other boy had found...
and Tommy still wanted to have a turn playing with it.
And he wasn't going to let an old Dragon stop him from getting it!


But he didn't notice as the sun went behind some clouds.
It seemed that the closer they got to the Castle, 
the darker the day became.


And back at Rose Thorne Cottage, 
the Little Dreamer Beth had grown tired of
 playing inside with her sister Amy and the dolls.
"Let's go play outside," she said to Amy.
"I don't want to go out." said Amy.
"But it's too beautiful to stay inside," argued Beth.
"I don't care!" said Amy.


"Fine!" said Beth, annoyed. "I'll go without you!"
"I don't care!" replied Amy.


So the Little Dreamer Beth went out alone.
It was still a beautiful morning, 
but it didn't feel as beautiful all alone.


Maybe she could catch up with Perry if she hurried, she thought.
He had probably headed for the Castle.


She wondered where the ponies were.
Sometimes they came and she was able
 to ride them  across the Briar Moors...
But they didn't come today.
Maybe she could still catch up with Perry... 
so she headed for the Castle on her own.

Meanwhile, Dear Readers, Perry had already reached the Castle.
The closer he got, the darker the day became. 
The fog that sometimes played just off the shore beyond the Castle
had come inland and seemed to have wrapped the Castle in a murky mist.


It looked more grim and forbidding than he remembered.


He thought that maybe he should go back.
But since he had come so far,
 perhaps he would just look around first.
In case there was anybody here to play with.


The stables were empty.


He didn't see anyone in the kitchens either.


The Great Hall is deserted.


Even the chamber where they found the sword is empty.
The chest where they found it was no longer there.


Well. That's that, thought Perry.
I guess I'll just go home.


But Tommy had arrived not long after Perry
 and was also searching the ruined rooms.


"Oh, hi!" said Perry.
"What are you doing here..?" asked Tommy.
(Tommy was always a little annoyed with Perry
 who always seemed to get to do things first!)
"I came to see if anybody was here." said Perry.
"But the place is deserted." he added.
"We can still hunt for Treasure..." said Tommy hopefully.
"Or explore the caves..." he added bravely.
"I don't want to play in the caves...."said Perry.
 
 
"Why not?" demanded Tommy. 
"We could try to get that sword back!" he added.
"Unless you're afraid of that Dragon...!" he challenged.
"I'm not afraid of that silly old Dragon....!" scoffed Perry.
"Me neither!" declared Tommy.
 
Meanwhile, in another Time and Place altogether, Dear Readers,
 the local families were debating the safety 
of attending the annual Halloween Party at the Castle.


"I heard they're holding the Halloween Party again this year" announced Victor.
"Really?" said Joanna. "I wonder if that is wise?" she added.
"I think we should go...." said Victor. "We are all vaccinated!"
"Well, but still, the children and the Old Folks might not be safe" said Joanna.


And Charles and Helen were holding a
 very similar conversation in the Living room.
"I don't think I would feel safe..." said Helen.
"All those people... 
and we wouldn't know who was vaccinated or not!" she added.
"Well, you know I will support whatever
 you wish to do, my Dear" said Charles, diplomatically.
He wasn't willing to admit that
 he had his own concerns for their safety.
 And especially the children!
But he did think it was too bad
 they would miss another night out!


"Do you want to go...?" Arthur was asking Pollyanna up in the attic craft room.
"Oh, gosh!" said Pollyanna with a dreamy look on her face.
"It would be so much fun to get out again..." she said.
"But would it be safe?" she asked.
"We have to think about the children and the Old Folks too!"
"Well, we can think it over..." said Arthur.
He was really hoping they could get away for at least one evening!


And over at the Castle itself, 
Ken was checking out the condition of the rooms.
"A Party...?" he asked.
""Of course there will be a party!"
"And I hope you will come!" he said cheerfully.

Well, Dear Readers, I hope you will agree
 that it is All about time,
but I hope you will find out
 Whether the Party is Now or Then!

Post a Comment

0 Comments