A letter “To the Women of Germany and Austria” was a public message for peace signed by 101 British women suffragists at the end of 1914 as the first Christmas of World War 1 approached.
Emily Hobhouse authored the Open Christmas Letter and circulated it for signatures. For now I leave you to read more at the Wikipedia page on the Letter … and I will draft my post about Emily next year.
The paragraph titled “Message” is worth reading …
![]() |
| Emily Hobhouse (1860 - 1926) |
One hundred and one years ago life was not much different ... wars were going on ... the genders were not treated equally ... food was scarce ... peoples from all over the world helped (and hindered) each other, ideas were sewn to improve the world ... and so it goes.
Déjà vu blogfest – I am afraid I failed … but I had a look at my posts – and you are all so generous in your support, and your thoughtful comments … that I felt you'd all come by and read with elegant sufficiency! ...
![]() |
| A hedgehog igloo |
… except perhaps the Hedgehog and Harvest Mouse post earlier this month … with now the added question when cometh winter? … and how will flora and fauna adapt to these warm conditions …
… today is the shortest day of the year - tomorrow the light increases (yeah) in the northern hemisphere … becoming apparent in the middle of January.
![]() |
| Winter Cyclamen |
So for now a very happy Christmas to one and all … and as Emily and her fellow suffragists from the UK, America, Germany, Austria, South Africa, India, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, and many more sympathisers wished …
… “Is it not our mission to preserve life?”
… today with our knowledge broader, I would add … we need to cherish all life … from a humble bee, to an innocent insect, to creeping, clambering plants, to the elephantidae … … the only surviving family of the order Proboscidea … and back to the chongolo – the renowned African millipede …
Remember others … smile lots … think of the planet as you go about your Christmassy days and each of the 365 to follow as 2016 approaches …
Happy Christmas and/or Happy Holidays ...
Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories






0 Comments