Right now, I'm in hell.
Okay, so that's a bit dramatic for a Thursday, but it's true. Well, I'm in EDITING hell. My story hates me. It's punishing me for things I'm probably going to do in the future (because obvs, I'm currently an angel). I went through this in October-ish. I cried, begged, pleaded with the thing but it was stubborn, and remained crap.
And then one day, I was listening to a song by The Used. It's one I've heard over and over, but for some reason, that sunny drive in the car, it hit me like a tire iron to the jaw (DRAMATIC). I went home, threw away my previous notes and transformed my story into something less awful. It took awhile to finish those revisions, but once done, I was confident enough to send to then future agent (I just blew your mind), who thought I showed enough promise to take a chance.
But it still needs work. Yaaknow. Plot holes, character issues, blah blah.
And now, I'm back here with this story, waiting for another light bulb to go off. In the meantime, yesterday I discussed one easy outlining technique via the Three Act structure. Though, I forgot to mention, I use this AFTER I've written the first draft. I'm not awesome at pre-outlining and I saw most of you are the same. I LOVE it because it divides your story into three easy sections, focusing on where conflict, tension, etc go once you already have a foundation and crap.
But then I found this new method, and have sort of been cheating on the Three Act Method. I won't even copy and paste so GO HERE to read about it. It's sort of life-changing and all kinds of dots were connected. And while I make the offspring have mandatory quiet time so I can torture myself with anything that will make my story rock, I only hope...I don't make it worse.
Tell me friends, is anyone else sick right now (yeah, it's off topic)? Have you had any light bulb moments that transformed your story? Can I have your light bulb?
Candyland. OUT.

0 Comments