In a quest to reconcile where I get cards from and for what purpose, I found these cards curiously labeled "backstop01....09". This means that was from the writer of the Pads-centric blog All the Way to the Backstop. He must have sent me a wide variety of Phillies, I remember a stack a mile-high, but more realistically, it was 100 cards or so. So let me give a retroactive shout out and display of Phillies cards from modern and bygone eras.
1992 Ultra Charlie Hayes: memorable Phillies moment: catching the last out of the first Phillies no-hitter in Veterans Stadium.
1996 Select Darren Daulton: Just Read This....trust me.
1993 Upper Deck Team Card Hammer & Nails: This was a portrait of the hitting soul of that crazy '93 team. I can't imagine where they got the name of the card though, must be some nickname angle.
1998 Donruss "Bob" Abreu: I never heard him referred to Bobby ever in all his years as a Phillie. He did have 6 straight seasons of greater than 136 OPS+ and 20 HRs. My guess is that only Mike Schmidt and Chuck Klein matched him, but I didn't do the research.
2012 Topps Opening Day Cole Hamels: The elder statesman of the Phillies pitching staff somehow set a career high in wins this year with 17.
2012 Bowman Gold Shane Victorino: "Not at my head, bro", and then he'll run you down.
1991 Leaf Dickie Thon: When he hit 15 HRs in 1989, I thought he was the greatest shortstop ever. How come he's never mentioned as a lost career a la Herb Score or Tony Conigliaro?
1989 Donruss MVP Kevin Gross: Interesting fact: led the NL in batters hit for 3 straight years as a Phillie.
1995 Topps Ricky Bottalico: Have you noticed that first year closers have a lot of success and 2nd year closers don't have so much success? Has there ever been a case study done for this?
This was a great mix of cards to get. Thanks again.










0 Comments