Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Suqqu Cheek Brush, Face Brush and Eyebrow Brush L and Comparative Review with Shiseido, Hakuhodo and Mac Brushes

Hi folks! Hope you're enjoying your weekend so far. :)

Today I thought I'd do a comparative review of the famous Suqqu make up brushes that I first heard about from Lisa Eldridge as one of her favourite brushes of all time.

Unlike Lisa Eldridge, I'm not a make up artist, but I do have a love and passion for beautiful brushes that I've collected over time.  I wouldn't say I have a huge collection (definitely no where near as Lisa Eldridge's given that she does this for a living and on LOTS of models at a time!), but I probably have more than what the average person would need for personal use. ;)

My love affair for make up brushes probably started when I first invested in the NARS Yachiyo Brush, which made me truly realise and experience what a huge difference a really good tool can do for your make up application.  I've mentioned this particular brush quite a few times in my blog posts, but never got around to do a proper blog post just on the brush itself.  However, if you're interested, I will endeavour to devote more blog posts on some of my favourite brushes from now on starting with the brushes I have from Suqqu.

[ If you wish to read my review and comparison of my other two favourite brushes for the eyes (blending) from Becca and Edward Bess, please click HERE. ]

Suqqu brushes are the most expensive brushes I own.  I must say that not all of my favourite brushes are expensive, they range from drug-store brands to high-end ones.  Are Suqqu brushes worth it?  After experiencing these brushes for myself, I would say that they are definitely the créme de la créme of make up brushes.  The quality really is exceptional.  Many of the best make up brushes are made in Japan where brush making by hand has been a form of art for centuries.  When I first heard about these brushes as being touted as the softest brushes, I couldn't believe that they could possibly be any softer than the brushes I already owned - noteably, my Hakuhodo and Shiseido brushes.  I thought, if it were any softer, I wouldn't be able to feel the darn thing.  I was wrong, and I'm glad, because they weren't exactly cheap. ;)

Yes, overall, they are indeed the softest brushes I've ever come across in terms of blush brushes.  However, for face/powder brushes, the Suqqu brush you'll be glad to know is on par with the Shiseido Powder Brush!  (Read on in the sub-sections below for a detailed comparison of its 'softness factor' with Hakuhodo and Shiseido blush brushes).

(It might also be worth mentioning that Suqqu also manufacture the makeup brushes for companies including Shiseido.  Hence, why I purchased from Shiseido in the first place having found this out, and why you'll find Shiseido's brush of high quality also).

But, does 'soft' necessarily mean top-notch?  I'm no brush expert, but to me, the softer the brush, the better it is for your skin.  Particularly around the delicate eye area.  If you have dry, flaky skin, soft brushes will certainly avoid aggravating it.  In terms of make up application, it may mean that powders with a harder texture and therefore, more difficult to pick up product from will be a bit more difficult.  An example of this is the baked powder blushes from Chanel's Joues Contraste line.  However, personally (again, I'm no brush expert or artisan), but from my own personal experience, I don't think that it boils down entirely to the softness of the brush, but also the type of brush hairs that are used to determine how well the brush picks up product.  You'll find out why down below in my brush comparison.
Blush/Cheek Brush Comparison: Suqqu, Shiseido and Hakuhodo

To test the Suqqu Cheek Brush's performance, I compare it to two of my blush brushes that were most similar to it (also Japanese brands): the Shiseido Blush Brush and the Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush.
Performance (Blush Application and Blending)

After testing the Suqqu Cheek Brush on the Chanel Joues Contraste blush, I was surprised just how well it actually picked it up!  Using a freshly washed and dried brush, I swirled it onto the baked powder a little, and gently as not to ruin the brush(!).  I examined the tip of the bristles and could hardly notice any powder on it.  Nonetheless, I applied onto my cheeks not expecting any colour, but actually there was some!  I repeated this process about 3-4 times to get the desired amount of colour on my cheeks.  To be honest, I think this is amazing even for hard textured powders.  This actually deposited a bit more product on my cheeks compared to using my Shiseido Blush Brush.  I found the Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush to pick up the least of the three.  So, with this, I am really pleased with the quality indeed and I think it was worth the price.

Although these brushes are soft, with the exception of the Hakuhodo brush, I think the Shiseido and Suqqu cheek/blush brushes are still pretty good in applying a natural looking flush of colour.  If you want to apply a hard-textured blush like the Chanel Joues Contraste in fewer strokes (i.e. 1-2) then I would keep to a slightly more coarser/stiffer brush such as the mini brush provided with the Chanel Joues Contraste.
Brush Head Comparison (L - R): Suqqu Cheek Brush, Shiseido Blush Brush and Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush.

Note the above photo was taken before first use of the Suqqu Cheek Brush (just out of the box), so it looks a bit slimmer and fatter due to the plastic wrapper that kept it in that shape. After it's been washed, dried and used, it appears fuller in shape, fluffier and much rounder.  This full, very rounded shape actually contributes to a much more efficient blush application that is blended impeccably well.  The smaller brush head compared to the Shiseido and Hakuhodo also means its great for precise application - keeping the blush colour only in the cheeks. It would suit all face shapes, but is particularly well suited to those with a smaller face or smaller cheek area.  The rounded shape means you can apply and blend in swirling motions or in sweeping motions and it still blends well and evenly across the cheek.  The Shiseido brush, while delicate, picks up product extremely well, but does not blend as well partly due to it's more tapered and flatter shape.  The Shiseido blush brush works best when applying blush in sweeping motions.  The Hakuhodo blush brush has a similar flatter brush head and I find also best applies in sweeping motions. However, the Hakuhodo is blends easier and a bit better than the Shiseido blush brush due to its density and finer bristles.  The Hakuhodo brush is also a bit more evenly rounded shape than the Shiseido.

Overall, all three blushes perform best with softer blush powders.  So I would highly recommend you use these with such powders.  I would rank their performance in this order in the category of soft blush powders:
  1. Suqqu Cheek Brush
  2. Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush
  3. Shiseido Blush Brush
In the category of hard-textured blush pressed powders such as the Chanel Joues Contraste, I would rank them in this order:
  1. Suqqu Cheek Brush
  2. Shiseido Blush Brush
  3. Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush
So as you can see, in both categories it is the Suqqu Cheek Brush that I found to be the best performer. :)
Brush ends / brush head comparison (L - R): Suqqu Cheek Brush, Shiseido Blush Brush and Hakuhodo Kokutan Blush Brush.

Degree of Softness

There is definitely a significant degree of difference between the Suqqu brush and the other two brushes in terms of softness.  The Shiseido brush is probably the least dense of the three, so it feels a bit more 'delicate' or 'lighter' as compared to 'soft', but not by much compared to Suqqu.  Hakuhodo's is definitely denser of the three, but to me, feels ever so slightly softer than Shiseido (but not that much really).  I tested these brushes on someone else with their eyes closed and they could immediately pick the Suqqu brush as being the softest, while it was harder to judge which one was the softer of the Shiseido and Hakuhodo.  In the end, we'd independently reached the same conclusion. :)

Size Comparison

The three brushes are pretty much similar in length with Shiseido being the shortest (about 6 inches / 15.5cm).  Most make up brushes from Japan are fairly short compared to western-made brushes.  Personally, I prefer the shorter brushes as I have fairly small hands and provides easier control, not to mention being a bit more convenient for travel.
Face/Powder Brush Comparison: Suqqu, Shiseido and Hakuhodo
Performance (Powder Application and Blending) and Degree of Softness

Overall, I would say that I both the Suqqu Face Brush and the Shiseido Powder Brush are on par in terms of performance.  Although, I think Suqqu's has a slightly better shape.  The rounded shape of the Suqqu brush makes it perfect for applying powder to the contours of the face and given it is the softest brush I have, it is perfect for doing so without disturbing any of the layers of product I have already put on underneath the powder.  I love the density of the brush.  The rounded shape makes it perfect for applying the powder around around the nose area, and all around the face using gentle patting and rolling motions as well as sweeping motions.  The powder is blended exceptionally well because of its shape.

The Shiseido brush on the other hand, is soft and is lightweight/delicate due to the lesser density of the brush, but overall, feels just as soft as the Suqqu Face Brush!  The Shiseido Powder Brush is flatter and therefore, best applies in a patting (using flat side of the brush) or sweeping motion.  I guess it just comes down to which brush shape and application method you prefer and also your budget.

The Hakuhodo S103 is more versatile of the three as it can be used for applying finishing powder (in a combination of gentle rolling and patting motions) and contouring the face due to its very tapered, pointed tip.  It's perfect for fitting into the contours of the face such as in the hollows of your cheeks and is a great 'workhorse' as the brush does all the blending and work for you due to the way the bristles are angled.  It's also great for applying powder around the nose.  This brush is very dense and the bristles are thicker and coarser than the Shiseido and Suqqu brushes.  Of the three brushes, I prefer to use this for contouring, rather than as a finishing brush.
Brush Head Comparison (L - R): Shiseido Powder Brush, Suqqu Face Brush and Hakuhodo S103.
Brush ends / brush head comparison (L -R ): Shiseido Powder Brush, Suqqu Face Brush and Hakuhodo S103.

Size Comparison

As you can see in the photo above, the Suqqu Face Brush is the smallest of the three at approximately 6.5 inches or 16.5 cm in length.
Eyebrow Brush Comparison: Suqqu EB Brush L and Mac 208

Performance Comparison

I personally prefer the Suqqu Eyebrow Brush L over the Mac 208.  The Suqqu brush is rather unusual due to its large size, but this means that you can apply eyebrow powder much more efficiently as it covers a larger area per brush stroke (in terms of length).  Even though it's fairly large, it's still tapered at the ends so it still offers a degree of precision and does not apply too thickly.  The tapered and curved edges of the Suqqu brush in comparison the the harsh, sharp edges of the Mac 208 is the key to the brush applying the powder in a much more natural and softer effect.  I wish all eye brow brushes were more like it!  It's really a breeze to work with and applies flawlessly.  This is perfect particularly for everyday wear when you definitely don't want your eyebrows to 'jump out' at people and make you look unapproachable. ;)  The Suqqu brush head is still firm enough to give precise brush strokes, but has finer brush ends so feels much softer on the brows when applying.  I love it.  It's now become my 'go-to' brush for applying eyebrow powder. ^_^
Brush ends / brush head comparison (L - R): Suqqu Eyebrow Brush L and MAC 208 brush.
Size Comparison

You can see from the image below that the Suqqu Eyebrow Brush L is much shorter in length at approximately 5 inches / 13 cm compared to the MAC 208 brush.  The much thicker and shorter brush of the Suqqu brush actually feels more akin to a pen/pencil, so it feels more natural to hold and control.

Availability & Prices

Please check the websites down below for up-to-date pricing in your currency.  I bought my Suqqu brushes at a further discounted price of 10% off as part of DollyLeo's 'discounted first order' offer.  So keep an eye out on that - last I checked it is still being offered. :)  The Suqqu Eyebrow Brush L is also currently on sale as well.

  • Suqqu: I bought mine from DollyLeo.com - note, the face and cheek brushes sell out really quickly.  Just have to keep a look out and sign up to email notifications if you're really keen. ;)
  • Hakuhodo: I bought mine from IMATS in Sydney last year, but you can also buy them online at http://www.hakuhodousa.com/ - they ship internationally.
  • Shiseido: Available in most department stores and selected chemists.
  • Mac: Available online as well as in most department stores.


Overall 

For most people, Suqqu brushes, however, are not a 'must-have'.  I would highly recommend either the Hakuhodo or Shiseido brushes as the next in line.  I think these are really top-notch in themselves compared to a lot of other brands, and particularly the Shiseido brushes which are a more accessible (available in most department stores), affordable and yet deliver on quality and application.  For some reason, I haven't seen much review on Shiseido brushes (sadly overlooked by a lot of people?), but they are definitely worth a try!  You'll be pleasantly surprised.  They are beautifully soft and on par with Suqqu's (particularly in the category of face/powder brushes).  If you are a collector of beautiful artisan make up brushes like myself and/or a make up artist, Suqqu brushes are a great investment.  I would recommend the Suqqu Cheek Brush and the Eyebrow Brush L in particular.  The quality (particularly of the hairs), look (sleek black lacquer handles - fairly lightweight), feel (great control), design (brush shape) and performance of these brushes are truly exceptional.  For face/powder brush, the Shiseido Powder Brush is just as excellent and far more affordable!


I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for reading! xo ^_^


You might also like:





Post a Comment

0 Comments